A Joint Message From Our CEO & Chair
- Smooth transition to operating as FP Canada with its two new divisions, the successful result of extensive branding and modified governance and operating structures
- Redesign of the Certified Financial Planner® certification program to meet the evolving needs and expectations of consumers
- Launch of the Qualified Associate Financial Planner™ certification on January 1, 2020. There are already more than 4,300 QAFP™ professionals in Canada
- First educational offerings from the new FP Canada Institute to help planners develop essential professional and human behavioural skills, part of the redesigned CFP® certification program
- Record numbers of candidates challenged QAFP or CFP certification exams in 2019-20; a total of 3,181 candidates, up more than 50% from the previous year
- Prompt response to the challenges of the global COVID-19 pandemic, with support for students, certificants and consumers, including new customized online resources
- Official agreement with the Institut québécois de planification financière (IQPF) as a proud partner of FP Canada, laying the groundwork to establish a unified, Canada-wide financial planning profession with a strong coordinated voice, a national strategy and unified standards.
Advocating for stringent proficiency and ethics requirements for everyone who calls themselves financial planners is an FP Canada priority. In 2019-2020, there was significant success on the policy front, with new titling legislation for financial planners passed in two provinces and FP Canada is in active discussions with other provinces:
- Ontario — Financial Professionals Title Protection Act
- Saskatchewan — Financial Planners and Financial Advisors Act
This legislation increases consumer protection and provides clarity for consumers about who to approach for ethical, knowledgeable financial advice.
Cary List, FCPA, FCA, CFP®
Hillary Dawson, ICD.D.
Tom Hamza, MBA
Damienne Lebrun-Reid, LL.B.
Joanna Tukums, CPA, CA
Joan Yudelson, MBA, CFP®, CTDP
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
|Brett Millard, CFP®|
|Martin Dupras, Pl. Fin.|
Dan Busi, CFP®
|François Durocher, CFP®|
|Carolyn Fallis, CFP®|
|Yves L. Giroux, Pl. Fin.|
|Ronald P. Harvey, CFP®|