OVERSIGHTIN THE PUBLIC INTEREST
The Standards Council delivered on its mandate through 2020, overcoming significant challenges and uncertainty arising from the COVID-19 pandemic. To minimize any disruption to ongoing work, hearings, panels, item writing and exam marking transitioned to a fully virtual environment.
- The Standards Panel, the Conduct Review Panel and the Hearing Panel provide independent oversight to set the standards of the profession and to enforce them. The panels’ membership reflects a breadth of diversity of experience and gender diversity and has national scope.
- The CFP Exam Panel and the QAFP Exam Panel oversee the development, scoring and determination of exam results for each respective exam. Many other professionals volunteer their time and expertise as item writers, mock exam writers and exam markers.
THE STANDARDS COUNCILCHAMPIONS & OVERSEES CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
IN 2020, GUIDANCE AND ADVICE WAS ISSUED ON:
- Failure to act with integrity, or in the client’s best interests
- Failure to perform due diligence or to perform financial planning in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, rules or established policies of governmental agencies and other applicable authorities
- Using personal and/or confidential client information without the written and informed consent of the clients
2020 HEARING PANEL OUTCOMES
For greater transparency, the Standards Council now publishes full decisions released by Hearing Panels and Appeal Panels on FP Canada’s website, instead of just a summary of the decision. A certificant’s disciplinary history is also linked to the Find a Planner Tool. All Disciplinary Decisions are now fully searchable.