FP Canada™ 2022 Financial Stress Index
FP Canada publishes the Financial Stress Index to learn what’s causing Canadians stress and to understand how professional financial planners are helping Canadians achieve financial well-being.
The 2022 survey found that the rising cost of living is leading to significant financial pressure on Canadians. For the fifth year, Canadians said money was their top source of stress.
The 2022 Financial Stress Index reveals that 38% of Canadians say money is their biggest concern, outranking personal health (21%), work (19%) and relationships (18%). The survey also highlights the following:
- Two in five Canadians (39%) report feeling less hopeful about their financial futures now than a year ago
- One in three (35%) say financial stress is leading to anxiety, depression, or mental health issues
Fortunately, the survey also shows that Canadians are taking action to alleviate their stress. One step many have taken is working with a professional financial planner, which has led to the following:
- They’re far less likely to cite money as their top concern than those who don’t work with a planner (15% vs. 39%)
- They’re less likely to face anxiety, depression, or mental health issues as a result of financial stress than those who don’t work with a planner (16% vs. 36%)
- They’re comparatively more hopeful about their financial futures than they were a year ago
2022 Financial Stress Index at a glance
Go more in depth into the research in the Financial Stress Index with the white paper, which captures the key findings nationally, regionally, and by topic to help you demonstrate the value of working with a financial planner.
Updates & Insights blog – How professional financial planners can help as inflation stresses out Canadians
Get more insight into how Canadians are dealing with the stress of rising prices and find out why your role as a professional financial planner has never been more vital.
Consumer article – Is money stressing you out? These tips—and guidance from a professional financial planner—will ease your mind and set you up for financial success.
This article on our consumer website provides steps for Canadians who want to get a handle on their finances—and illustrates the value of working with a professional financial planner.
Sample social media posts
Share insights with your network and start the conversation with clients and prospective clients on social media. Download your 2022 Financial Stress Index social media posts for QAFP professionals and for CFP professionals.
FP Canada’s Spotify Stress-Free Summer Soundtrack
Since music is known to soothe the financially-stressed soul, here’s our 2nd annual Stress-Free Summer Soundtrack, curated for you by CFP® professionals and QAFP™ professionals from across Canada.