Maintaining Your CFP® Certification
CFP certification must be renewed annually by March 31 each year. Annual requirements to renew your CFP certification include:
- Adherence to the FP Canada Standards Council™ Standards of Professional Responsibility.
- Completion of 25 hours of Continuing Education (CE), including at least two credits in the Professional Responsibility category.
- Compliance with the CFP Certification Policies.
- Compliance with the CFP marks use in accordance with the CFP Marks Usage Guide.
- Completion and approval of your certification renewal application and payment of your annual certification fee.
Renew Your Certification
The annual CFP certification period expires on March 31 each year. Once your renewal application is processed and approved, your CFP professional digital credential will be automatically updated to show that your certification status is current.
Renewals received after March 31 will be subject to late fees. Any renewal application received after May 31 will be subject to a reinstatement fee in addition to the annual certification fee. For a complete list of certification fees, refer to the FP Canada™ Fee Schedule.Renew Now
You Worked Hard to Achieve your CFP Certification:
Don’t Let It Expire!
We encourage you to complete the renewal application to ensure you continue to experience the benefits of CFP certification. As a CFP professional, you have achieved internationally recognized standards of knowledge, skills, experience and ethics. Your CFP designation provides assurance to Canadians that the design of their financial future rests with a professional who will put clients’ interests ahead of your own, and who will help clients Live Life Confidently™.
Reinstate Your Certification
Former CFP professionals with a cancelled or lapsed certification are permitted to reinstate within five years of their last CFP certification expiration date, subject to reinstatement policies.
Requirements to Reinstate CFP Certification
- Continued adherence to the FP Canada Standards Council Standards of Professional Responsibility;
- Completion of the CFP Certification Reinstatement Application and payment of the non-refundable reinstatement fee, in addition to the pro-rated annual certification fee; and
- Submission of supporting documentation to confirm completion of all Continuing Education (CE) requirements (25 hours of CE activities annually for each year not certified). You will be required to log in to your FP Canada Portal and report your CE through your CE Tracker by clicking “View/Update CE”.
Reinstatement Application Processing
Your application will be reviewed once you have reported your CE in the CE Tracker tool with appropriate supporting documentation and paid the reinstatement fee. The application process generally takes 5-10 business days from the date you submit all required items.
For more information about CFP certification, visit our FAQ: CFP Certification or contact Certificant and Student Services at email@example.com, 416-593-8587 or 1-800-305-9886. Our office is open from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET.